Medical Laboratory Technology/Science is a profession that involves the use of a range of scientific disciplines and associated technologies in the investigation, monitoring and treatment of disease.
Medical Technologists acquire knowledge and practical skills in disciplines such as Haematology, Medical Microbiology, Histopathology, Cytology, Clinical Biochemistry and Medical Parasitology that enable them to play vital role in the health care services .
Graduates from the course will find employment as Medical Laboratory Technologists in government and private institutions such as:
Pathology Department of hospital
Immunohaematology Department of hospital (Blood Transfusion Service)
Government/ Private Medical and Health Institutions
Private Pathology Laboratories
Medical Laboratory Technologists practise their scientific knowledge and practical skills in patient care by producing accurate and reliable results that assist the Medical Practitioner in diagnosis and treatment of diseases .
Areas of Practice
Areas of practice of Medical Laboratory Technology include:
1. College of Medical Laboratory
Technology Institute for Medical Research
Jalan Pahang 50588 KUALA LUMPUR
2. Kolej Sains Kesihatan Bersekutu
Batu 13 ½,(KM22) Jalan Puncak Borneo
93250 Kuching SARAWAK
Allowances for Medical Laboratory Technologist (During 3 years training)
1. Students allowance :RM621.21 per month
2. Other allowances :
- Ref. Book :RM250.00 per year
- Project paper :RM 90.00 per year
- Stationeries :RM 25.00 (once throughout 3 years training)
- Tailoring Allowance:RM 90.00 (year 2 & 3)
Course Duration/Course Status
Under its "Sistem Pengambilan Sepanjang Masa" (Open Application System), the Civil Service Department receives application anytime.
Application form (Borang SPA 8), booklet and information on job advertised are obtainable from the following address. (Form is purchased using Postal Order at RM 3.00 payable to "Setiausaha Suruhanjaya Perkhidmatan Awam Malaysia").
1. Suruhanjaya Perkhidmatan Awam Malaysia,
Aras 9, Blok C7,
Pusat Pentadbiran Kerajaan Persekutuan,
62502 PUTRA JAYA,
Laman Suruhanjaya PerkhidmatanAwam (http://www.spa.gov.my)
2. Suruhanjaya Perkhidmatan Awam Malaysia,
Urusetia Cawangan Sabah,
Tingkat 6, Blok E, Wisma KWSG,
88000 KOTA KINABALU, SABAH.
3. Suruhanjaya Perkhidmatan Awam Malaysia,
Urusetia Cawangan Sarawak,
Tingkat 10, Bangunan Sultan Iskandar,
Jalan Simpang Tiga,
93520 KUCHING, SARAWAK.
4. All State Public Service Commissions (Suruhanjaya Perkhidmatan Awam Negeri)
5. All State/District Labour Departments (Jabatan)Tenaga Rakyat Negeri/Daerah
Basic Criteria for Service Scheme.
Name of Course: Medical Laboratory Technologist (Juruteknologi Makmal Perubatan) Code of Scheme: 2613
- Age: 18 - 25 years old at the date of application
- Qualification: (a)Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia or equivalent (b)Pass in Bahasia Malaysia (including Oral Test) at Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia level or equivalent as recognized by the Government.
Criteria for Selection Preference will be given to candidate with:
- Pass in mathematics & credit in Science or pass in 2 Science subjects.
- Mentally and physically fit to be employed after the training.
Appointment to the Scheme of Service
- Appointment Status: Permanent
- Trainees sponsored by the Ministry of Health Malaysia who have successfully completed the course and interview will be appointed to the post of Medical Laboratory Technologist (Juruteknologi Makmal Perubatan )Grade U29 according to the salary scale as follow:
P1T1 RM 928.55 - P1T27 RM2445.89 P2T1 RM 985.42 - P2T27 RM2623.76 P3T1 RM1044.71 - P3T27 RM2781.06
Housing allowance : RM 180.00 per month
Regional allowance : RM 238.95 per month
Civil Service allowance : RM 160.00 per month
[Starting salary for Medical Laboratory Technologist grade U29 will be P1T6 RM1194.75]
Trainees sponsored by the Ministry of Health Malaysia will require to serve in the Government for a period of 5 years in which penalty will be imposed if otherwise.
Opportunity to attend the in-service training for upgrading knowledge and skills in their respective fields. Such trainings are sponsored by the Ministry of Health Malaysia and other private agencies.
After serving 5 years with the government, you can apply to do courses in degree program in local universities such as Biomedical Science and Applied Science (Medical Science).
Medical Laboratory Technologist Grade U8 can be promoted to Grade U32, U36 U38 and U40.
For further information please contact:
KETUA SETIAUSAHA KEMENTERIAN KESIHATAN MALAYSIA
BAHAGIAN PENGURUSAN LATIHAN TINGKAT 18,
JALAN IPOH 50590 KUALA LUMPUR
Tel : 03-40457001 Fax : 03-40457500